When my brother and (now) sister-in-law were getting married a few years ago, she was so excited about her wedding dress that she tried it on for me once it came in. It was absolutely GORGEOUS on her! It was her dream dress and she felt completely beautiful in it. She had the biggest smile on her face until she turned around and then, she was upset. While I hardly noticed, she was very self conscious of her (small amount of) back fat. She was so upset that she literally started doing back targeted workouts that day! I totally get that though. We all have our insecurities and areas of our bodies that we wish were in better shape or looked better or different. If you’re looking to get rid of that annoying back fat for your big day and are just starting out on your health journey, check out Natalie Jill’s 6 minute “Attack of the Back Fat” video. It’s a great way to begin to reduce that unwanted back fat and help you to fit into your wedding dress and to be more confident on your wedding day.
Congrats ladies! You’ve taken the first step and made the decision to lose weight before your BIG day! Be proud of yourself! I know that I am proud of you 🙂 That first step can definitely be scary to make but you’re past that and now it’s time to follow through on your goal! While I know this can be tough, here are a few of my simple tips to help you kick-start your weight loss and help you continue to lose weight and become healthier for your wedding day!
- Eat Breakfast
- I know, I know, you have probably heard this hundreds of times but it’s the truth! You may think that you can shed pounds by skipping on breakfast but the opposite is actually true. Eating a good breakfast is what kicks off your metabolism for the day. So, be sure to eat that delicious meal high in fiber, protein and fruit within an hour of waking up and you’ll be on your way to a healthy day!
- Drink Water
- I have said SO many times just how completely vital it is to consume enough water every day. Staying hydrated is one of the (if not THE) most important weight loss tip that I can give you. Be sure to drink at least half of your weight in ounces. It has zero calories, is key for overall good health and even makes you feel full when you’re hungry. Aim for a glass of water with every meal and snack (and some in between :))!
- Move Your Body
- Going from a couch potato to spending an hour at the gym every day isn’t a change that most people can stay motivated to keep up with. So, start small and build yourself up. Start by adding just 10 or 20 minutes of exercise/cardio to your day for the first few days and build up from there. The key is to MOVE! Exercise also helps to increase your metabolism which is just what you are looking for!
- Write It Down
- Write down on a piece of paper, the reasons why you want to lose weight. Do you want to have more energy or fit into skinnier jeans? Do you want to reduce your risk of diabetes? Write down your reasons and when you’re thinking about eating that bag of chips or skipping Yoga class, use your written reminders to keep yourself on track.
- Plan Each Meal
- Make sure that you plan out your (healthy) meals for the week. Even do that dreadful “Meal Prep” everyone is talking about. Trust me, it helps so much! Even I find myself grabbing something unhealthy when I haven’t prepared for the week and am short on time or “too tired” to make dinner. Why deal with that? Save yourself time, stress and extra calories during the week by spending just a couple hours on Sunday to prep and cook your meals and snacks for the week!
I can share tip after tip, recipe after recipe, and workout idea after workout idea with you but the ONLY way that you can lose weight is if YOU WANT TO! You will not lose weight if you aren’t doing it for yourself. You have to be motivated and willing to work for it. Trust me, it will be hard work and sometimes or maybe a lot of the time, hard to stay motivated but, YOU CAN DO IT!
No one wants to look back at their wedding pictures and think ‘wow, who is that in the white dress?’. I know that you don’t! So, DON’T! What better way to start off a marriage than being healthy (in all aspects) and confident.
Be sure that you don’t make your weight loss goal unattainable. Nothing kills motivation like disappointment. You will be disappointed if you expect to lose 30 lbs. in a month and don’t, so be reasonable! Set achievable goals and then go for it!
It’s your body. It’s your life. It’s your wedding. It’s your marriage. So, get started today. Make a plan, set your goals and get started on the journey!
We all know that drinking enough water not only aids in weight loss, but staying hydrated provides so many other health benefits as well, including clearer and more beautiful and glowing skin for your BIG day! As I mentioned in a previous post, I used to not drink a lot of water. I was continuously dehydrated and experiencing negative side effects that I never knew/thought were related to my lack of hydration. But surprise surprise… they were!
I had a hard time shifting my mind and body to drinking more water so I had to try different tricks till I found one that worked for me. I was finally successful by setting specific goals for myself (certain water amounts by certain hours of the day) and now, if I don’t drink enough water during the day, I feel off.
Believe me though, I get it. Drinking water can be SO boring!! Especially when I’m drinking a gallon or more every day. And… who likes boring?! I don’t 🙂 So, if you’re having a difficult time drinking the proper amount of water each day, here are two tricks that I found were helpful and tasty!
- Find a reusable, BPA free, see-through water bottle that holds at least 32 ounces (the less ounces, the more times you will need to refill your bottle) and that you don’t mind writing on.
- With a permanent marker, make lines at every 8-10 oz. for every hour between 8am and 6pm (adjust hours if you wake up/go to bed at different times). So, if you get up at 7am, set your first line (8-10 oz.) for 8am. Then another at 9am, 10am, etc. until you reach 6pm. The key is to make sure that you have drank the allotted amount of water before each hour is up. This will help you to drink between 88 and 110 ounces per day. As your body adjusts, feel free to increase the number of ounces you are in-taking every hour.
- If you don’t feel like doing the marking and math on your own, check out the pre-marked and motivational bottles at Blogilates Designs.
Make It Fun:
- Dice up and freeze a month’s supply of fruit like raspberries, strawberries, lemons, limes, oranges, or whatever other fruit you’d like and add it to your water bottle. It not only keeps your water cold but it flavors it as well. Eat the fruit at the end and you’ll be on your way to getting your fruit servings in each day!
- Try different combinations to infuse into your water until you find ones that you like best. Another cool trick is to freeze lemon juice in ice cube trays and pop them in there.
Believe me, I get it… sometimes it’s hard to fit full workouts in every day of the week. But, instead of not doing any kind of workout those days, try doing tiny workouts that fit into your every day activities. Every time after you go to the bathroom, do 20 squats or as you’re washing dishes or washing your hands, do 20 calf raises or while you’re on the phone with a client, pace back and forth to get your heart rate up a little and get some steps in. Soon, these little workouts will become like habit and even on days where you are able to get a full workout in, you’ll be doing these to help keep/get you in even better shape. If you’re wanting to look and feel better and be overall healthier for your BIG day, quit making excuses and get it done!
Happy Wednesday friends!! I hope that you’re having a wonderful week so far 🙂 Mine has been great! I am still sore from my leg/ab workout on Monday but absolutely LOVE that feeling! With that in mind, I thought I’d share my short but super effective ab workout to help you get Honeymoon ready.
Strengthening your abs is definitely important to look your best in your dress and on your Honeymoon but it’s also critical to your overall health. Strong abs and a strong core are essential for your posture, which is great to have in itself but also, it helps to prevent/relieve back pain and provide you with balance.
Don’t worry, this isn’t a long workout or one that you need to do daily. Do this 15 minute ab workout just 3 days a week to get healthier and Honeymoon ready!
Descriptions of Workouts:
In & Outs
Sit down on the mat with your legs straight out in front of you, then lift them off the ground with your knees bent. While keeping your back as upright as possible and your arms up in the air, pull your legs into your chest and straighten them back out. This is one rep. You can make this exercise easier by putting your hands on the ground beside or behind you.
Get into a prone position on the floor, supporting your weight on your toes and your forearms. Your arms are bent and directly below the shoulder. Keep your body straight at all times, and hold this position. To increase difficulty, an arm or leg can be raised.
While in the same starting position as in-and-outs, start to move your legs in a circle like you are riding a bike. Do this for 25 seconds, stop, and reverse the circle. Can also be done with hands at the side or in the air.
This is exactly the same as in-and-outs with one major difference. When you pull your legs into your chest, wrap your arms around your knees; and when you straighten them stretch your arms straight out to your sides (in the air).
Lie down with your legs straight and lift both of them off the ground. Lift your right leg at a ninety-degree angle and hover your left leg right above the ground. Switch the left and right leg positions and repeat, keeping both legs straight and off the ground the whole time.
Point both legs straight up in the air. Leave them in that position and, while lying down, move the hips up and down (raise your hips off the ground). Each up-and-down motion counts as one rep.
Sit up straight with your knees slightly bent and your feet hovering above the floor. Clutch your hands together in a fist in front of your belly-button. Quickly twist from side to side, rotating your whole torso. Touching both sides counts as one rep.
Happy Training Thursday loves! Getting in shape isn’t easy. It is time consuming, hard, and exhausting but, it is SO worth it! Not only for your health but for your confidence as well.
Don’t worry, whether your wedding is in a few weeks or a few months, it isn’t too late to start getting in shape and losing that extra weight you hate. Sometimes it is difficult for me to make it to the gym. It can take up more time than I have available that day and I am assuming a lot of you have that same issue and are looking for workouts that you can do at home! Well, good thing for you… I LOVE working out at home. It may actually be my favorite place to workout (aside from outside).
When I was sitting eating dinner last night and thinking about what I wanted my first Training Thursday post to be about, it became obvious to me… BOOTY! Duh! 🙂 Who doesn’t want a toned booty and legs?
I have been focusing the past few weeks at getting my legs and booty in better shape so wanted to share with you some of the exercises I have been doing from LeanItUp.com and their Squat Guantlet. WARNING: You will be sore 🙂 Try these high-intensity squat exercises to get your booty and legs ready for your big day and honeymoon!
One of the biggest mistakes that people make (yes, I used to be a part of that group too) is not drinking enough WATER. Our bodies are made up of 60% water and we NEED to continuously replenish our bodies with water for overall health and energy.
Until 3 years ago, I hardly ever drank water unless it was during volleyball practice or at the gym, etc. The rest of the day I might have had a sip or two here or there but that was it! I know, crazy right?! I had headaches, low energy, tired eyes, and a plateaued weight and health.
I (as you probably have heard too) have always been told that I needed to drink at least ten 8 ounce glasses of water a day but I had never really paid attention to that “suggestion.” It wasn’t until I was in my car for work full-time that I slowly started getting in the habit. I began bringing two refillable water bottles with me and (being as competitive as I am haha) would give myself goals of when I had to have certain amounts drank by.
Soon, it became such a normal part of my every day that I would drink about a gallon a day. I noticed that I was having way less headaches, had a little extra pep in my step and didn’t feel as tired. Foods were processing through me more easily, and I was losing the extra few pounds that had been so hard to get off. All definite positives!
Don’t worry, you don’t have to drink an entire one of those 5 gallon water jugs at work, you just need to make sure that you are drinking a minimum of 64 ounces a day. If you are exercising (which you should be), you need to drink at least 72 ounces, or a gallon a day!
I can’t stress it enough. Drinking enough water daily is the key to your health and weight loss. DRINK YOUR WATER! Not drinking enough water can cause major issues like fatigue, allergic reactions, high blood pressure, wrinkling, gas, bloating, and nasty skin issues (there goes that glowing bride look you were going for). So, I’ll say it again… DRINK YOUR WATER!
*Tip of the day: Squeeze in some lemon juice for change of flavor or mix in my FAVORITE GREENS to one of your bottles a day to get the added 8+ servings of fruits and vegetables and 38 super-foods they contain as well as the benefit of alkalizing, detoxing and balancing your body for even greater health and energy!